VFW Post #280

Frequently Asked Questions

10 Most Common

What is the address of Al Embry International?

P.O. Box 206, Old Hickory, TN 37138.

How do I book an artist?

Go to Make an Offer and fill out the webform there. One of our associates will contact the artist you listed and begin to make the arrangements. That associate will contact you to with a decision from the artist.

What does a life membership cost?
Lifetime Membership Scale

Attained Age as of Dec 31st Fee
17 - 30             $425.00
31 - 40             $410.00
41 - 50             $375.00
51 - 60             $335.00
61 - 70             $290.00
71 - 80             $225.00
81 and over     $170.00

Life Membership is based on the applicant's age as of December 31st of the current year. (See the scale above to determine the cost of your Life Membership.)

Life members may choose from a variety of payment plans.

Can a Post require a DD214 before accepting an individual's application?

No. Section 103, Paragraph 3, of the National By-Laws, provides that "the Post Reviewing Committee shall not recommend acceptance of an application unless eligibility has been fully determined. The Post is accountable for the eligibility of every member accepted into membership." There is nothing in the National By-Laws stating that a DD214 is the only document required to substantiate eligibility. Copies of orders, payroll vouchers, etc., are other sources of eligibility.

Are there Grants and Scholarships for children and grand-children of Veterans and VFW Members?

There are different programs available which you would want to check elegibility criteria. The VFW offers 2 programs called "The Voice of Democracy" and "The Patriots Pen". If you would like more information on these programs you can contact Kris Harmer, VFW Programs, at kharmer@vfw.org or call (816) 968-1117.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and one of its major supporters, Sport Clips Haircuts, have again partnered to help our veterans and their families. The VFW "Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship" will provide service members and veterans with the financial assistance they need to complete their educational goals without incurring excessive student loan debt. It's just another way to say "thank you" to those who deserve it the most! Please click below for full details on the scholarship program and to apply: "http://www.vfw.org/Assistance/VFW-Sport-Clips-Help-A-Hero-Scholarship/".

There are local organizations, including possibly some VFW Posts, that may make funds available. Please contact VFW Programs for a phone number to contact your VFW Department (state) Headquarters and they can direct you to any local VFW Posts that might help, or tell you if they offer anything themselves at the state level. Please know you can also ask your Department to speak to your Service Officer - they might be able to find out if there are any other programs available through the Veterans Administration in your particular state. You can also "Find A Post" to search for various local VFW Posts to contact to see if they have any other scholarship opportunities.

How can I obtain a headstone or marker?

Veterans, active duty members and retired reservists and National Guard members are eligible for an inscribed headstone or marker to mark their grave at any cemetery; national, state veterans or private, delivered at no cost, anywhere in the world. To apply for a headstone or marker for a private cemetery, mail a completed VA Form 40-1330(available at www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA40-1330.pdf), Application for Standard Government Headstone or Marker for Installation in a Private or State Veterans Cemetery, and a copy of the veteran's military discharge document and death certificate to Memorial Programs Service (41A1), Department of Veterans Affairs, 5109 Russell Rd., Quantico, VA 22134-3903. Further information may be obtained by calling 1-800-697-6947, or contacting your VFW Department Service Officer.

How can I obtain a copy of the National By-Laws? Are they available online?

The National By-Laws are available through VFW Store and are not available online. You can order online at VFW Store or call toll-free 1-800-821-2606.

Can I change Post membership and if so, How?

In order to transfer your membership to another Post, it is necessary to take your request to the Quartermaster of the Post you wish to join. Upon acceptance and approval of the membership transfer, the Quartermaster will forward the required forms, along with your dues payment (if applicable), to National Headquarters.

Once the transfer is received and processed at National Headquarters, a new membership card will be printed and mailed. For information regarding posts in your area, please go to "Find A Post"

Can Post Honor Guard members wear their military decorations on their VFW uniform?

Yes. DOD guidelines allow for the wearing of military decorations by former/retired military personnel on appropriate civilian clothing. For additional information click on the DOD link "DOD".

As a member of the American Legion can I attend meetings and events of the VFW?

Only as a Guest. In addition to the By-Laws of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, VFW Posts maintaining canteen/club operations serving alcohol beverages are required to comply with all applicable local, county and state regulations pertaining to such operations. In some instances, these regulations do provide for guests, but it is at the discretion of the Post to allow guests entry to their canteen/club. It is a commonly held misconception that membership in the VFW or American Legion offers unlimited access to any VFW Post canteen/club operation, but this is simply not true. Consequently, your American Legion membership may not be sufficient to authorize your admission to a VFW canteen/club. Use the VFW "Find A Post" to contact the Post you wish to visit prior to your arrival.